Saturday, August 29, 2009

Update - 8/29

Overall, today was a rather uneventful day. Campbell remembered last night that we had promised her to a trip to Toys R Us while she was in the ER last Thursday getting her initial IV. (Who said she is not going to remember anything?) So, off we went to Toys R Us this afternoon. We stopped on the way and got her a new haircut since we had to cut the knot that was in her hair after the surgery out and then took her out to lunch at her favorite place (Panera Bread, of course...odd child...)

She had a visit from her "Aunt Genene & Uncle Mike" this morning and we were all happy to see her acting like herself again.

We are still trying to get used to how quickly she crashes but we are learning just like she is and are starting to get it.

We had a bit of a scare this evening with another episode of her vomiting. It is very scary for all of us to not know exactly who or when to call when she is sick. We gave in and called the pediatrician who returned the page about 2 minutes after we called. His wife is also one of the Pediatric Oncologists that will be treating Cam. Needless to say, we could not be happier with the care that Dr Porter and Dr Fritz have provided Campbell. They truly care about her and we would not trade them for the world (If you are looking for a recommendation for a local pediatrician, Basking Ridge Pediatrics is my vote). Luckily, it does not look like anything to be concerned with at this time. Again, we will continue to watch it and hope that it stays a non-event.

Our outing tomorrow morning will be to church. More than ever, we are feeling truly grateful- for our family and friends , for Cam's health, and for the doctors who have brought us this far.

Please continue to pray for Campbell - that the news next week come back positive and that she has a speedy and complete recovery.

Friday, August 28, 2009

UPDATE - 8/28

Yesterday and today started with Campbell not feeling very well. Luckily, it seems to pass by late morning/early afternoon and she is back to being herself again. We will continue to watch it and hope that it does not become a problem

Campbell continues to make improvement every day. Last night, she had a great time playing with Nanny & Pop-Pop and this morning she was up VERY early painting a picture (I'm glad that Mommy stayed over night with her last night)

The REALLY GOOD NEWS is that we brought Cam home today! We are all so pleased to be out of the hospital and we are looking forward to the next steps in her recovery.

We should get the final pathology reports by the middle of next week and we are trying to remain hopeful that we receive positive news.

The girls will be home on Sunday and Cam is looking forward to having her "girlies" home.

Thank you again for your continued thoughts and prayers!

Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline & Campbell

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cam has been sprung from the PICU!

They moved Campbell from the PICU to the regular Pediatric Unit this afternoon! We are anxiously excited and a little nervous about her brain regulating the pressure on its own. However, we are confident in the amazing team of doctors taking care of our baby. It does help a little that in the four days post-op, she did not need to have the shunt drained at all - her brain took care of itself just fine!

The girls are having a great time in SC. Although they miss their sister and have been worried about her, they have been ecstatic to see pictures of her progress emailed to Mama's phone. She even got up and played Wii for a bit tonight!

Still no official diagnosis on the type or stage of cancer. We wait, holding our breath and praying for the best, until probably next Tuesday.

The outpouring of love and support from all of you has been overwhelming. Thank you so much for your concern, prayers and love. We are blessed to have all of your in our life. We love all of you!

Robin and Greg

UPDATE - 8/26/09 - 9:30am

Campbell had another good night last night. She was up at 1:30am looking for more "pumpkin muffy" and some juice - which was happily provided! She is sitting up and eating this morning and watching some of her shows and beginning to act more like herself. Around 9:00am the Neurosurgeon came in and removed the drain from her head which, although not the most pleasant experience, was greatly appreciated by Cam! She'll be getting a bath today and hopefully get her hair brushed which will make her mother happy!

Her appetite seems to be coming back and she was having some french toast (w/ketchup, of course - yuck!) and bacon so we are hoping that she starts to put on some of the weight that she lost over the past week.

They plan on getting her up and about today to play some games, take a walk and start to get her motor skills going again. We will most likely be transferred out of the PICU either today or tomorrow and possibly will be home on Friday (or else it will be Monday).

Yesterday, we met both the radiation oncologist and another one of the pediatric oncology team. They still don't have all of the results back from the pathologist at Johns Hopkins so we won't be sure what the extent of the chemotherapy and radiation will be.

We are trying to remain cautiously optimistic based on all of the positive results thus far without getting overly optimistic. She remains a very sick little girl but we will take her however we can!

Caitlin and Caroline are enjoying their time in South Carolina and seem to have been able to temporarily be themselves again. They call to check on their sister multiple times a day and are really looking forward to getting home to see her.

On a personal note, Robin and I are so touched by your continued love, support and prayers. It is comforting and humbling to feel the outpouring of support in so many ways from so many people. Needless to say, we can never thank you all enough for what you have done. Our family could not have gotten through all of this without you and we will never forget your overwhelming acts of kindness. We are truly blessed to have you all in our lives.

Please continue to pray for "Miss Cam"!

With Love,

Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline & Campbell Grace

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

UPDATE - 8/25/09 - 11:00 PM

Dear all, Campbell Hoyt is doing remarkably well and we are hoping that she is released from the hospital soon. Please feel free to sign up (see website address and login information below) to bring dinners (and help in other ways as needs arise) to the Hoyt Family while they focus on helping Campbell recuperate! Details are on the website, but please bring all dinners in a disposable container with clear cooking instructions. There will be a cooler on their back porch at 21 Old Army Road between 4-6pm where you can leave the food. I know that the family truly appreciate all the warm thoughts and prayers AND help that you provide as we move forward with Cam's recovery. Any questions or concerns, please give me a call at 908-672-5938 or email at the above address. You will receive a confirming email that will remind you of the date that you have signed up for. We will be adding dates and tasks as needed.

To access Hoyt Family's personal CareCalendar site, visit; and enter the following information in the appropriate spaces:

Once you log on, you will be asked to fill in some information. Please make sure that all the information is complete (including how you know the Hoyts) so that the you will have access to the calendar. Thank you so much!

Becky Hull

Monday, August 24, 2009

UPDATE - 8/23/09 - 11:00 AM

Campbell was able to have her breathing tubes as well as various other support tubes removed this morning and was awake, talking, and expressing her STRONG desire to "Go Home." She continues to improve with each passing hour thanks in no small part to all of your prayers and support. Her godfather, Brian (aka Twinky) arrived last night from New Mexico and is spending time with her and Greg, and Robin.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Latest Update

I spoke with Mark and he asked that I update everyone on the latest information. Cam had an MRI today and the doctors were again ecstatic with the results. Not only did the MRI confirm that they were able to remove the entire tumor but there is still nothing showing that is concerning the doctors. The girls were able to ask questions, cry, and eventually feel good about the fact that they know what is going on and that their little sister is in good hands at the hospital. The girls left to go to Charleston with Robin's parents for the week. Later in the day the doctors were trying to pump any excess fluid out of Cam's lungs but were unsuccessful because they found out the tube was bent somehow. So they took that tube out to put in another tube and were then able to pump the little bit of fluid. An attempt was also made to bring her out of sedation but Cam's breathing was shallow so the doctors will try again tomorrow. There wasn't any concern about having her under for one more day as they mentioned everyone responds differently. Her fever is also down to 99 from 102 so that also continues to improve.

On the homefront for the Hoyt's a member of their family heard of an organization called HeartWorks has stepped up and they are going to pay the fees Greg and Robin would have had to pay in order for the girls to take the bus to school. They are also offering to help with cleaning services and other avenues for help so the transition back home for Greg, Robin, and the girls is as smooth as it possibly can be. This organization was formed by a lady after 9-11 who wanted to start a non-profit to help families with the things they are now offering to Greg and Robin. God Bless them!

Greg and Robin have been able to take some time to read your posts and they are overwhelmed with gratitude and appreciation for all of the love and support for their family. They again would like to thank you for all of your love and support. They have felt everyone's love for them and it has really helped them through this tough time. Continue to pray for them and for Cam that she will continue to grow strong and continue to get better.

Chris West

Saturday, August 22, 2009

UPDATE - 8/22/09 - 9:45pm

Campbell was taken down for a post-operative CT Scan at 7:15 this evening. Her neurosurgeon was ecstatic with the results and told Greg & Robin that everything that she saw was exactly what she wanted to see... more GREAT news! There were no signs of excessive trauma following the surgery and all is as it should be.

Campbell is still sedated and will remain so for most of tomorrow. While she is running a fever (currently 102 degrees), the doctors have indicated that it is not unusual following brain surgery - a little Neuron temper tantrum if you will - and it should come down on its own over the coming hours.

Greg and Robin spent the day surrounded by friends and family and truly felt the power of your prayers. Caitlin and Caroline were able to go in and see their sister. Greg and Robin did a fantastic job of explaining the situation to them and answering whatever questions the girls had. While Campbell's road to recovery will be long, she gains strength from all of you and your prayers. Please continue to keep Campbell, Greg, Robin, Caitlin, and Caroline in your prayers in the coming days, weeks, and months. Thanks again for all of your support!


Prayers Answered

I spoke with Mark again and Campbell is out of surgery and in recovery. The doctors were able to remove the ENTIRE tumor which is awesome news. Greg and Robin and the rest of the family wanted everyone to know they feel your love and prayers. Please continue to pray for Campbell as she has overcome so much already and we all know she will continue to do in the coming days. Thank you God for answered prayers!

Chris West

Surgery Update

I spoke with Mark and he asked that I give everyone an update since the internet connection at the hospital isn't that great. Campbell was scheduled for surgery around 9 but by the time they prepped her for surgery and actually got started it was around 10:45 am. The doctor's put in the drain to relieve fluid on her brain so they could begin the process of removing the tumor. So far things are going well and the doctor's expect to be finished with the surgery sometime after 3 pm. Once the surgery is complete Mark will call me and I can then provide another update. Let's keep praying and know that God will heal Campbell and provide Greg and Robin the peace and strength they need.

Chris West

Friday, August 21, 2009

UPDATE - 8/21/09, 10:00 PM

Results of Campbell's MRI came in and confirmed that the tumor was in only one location... no tumors in the spinal cord or other areas of the brain which is great news. Following the MRI, Campbell was able to drink some juice, eat a 'Pumpkin muffy', and watch a Little Einsteins video.

She is scheduled to undergo surgery tomorrow morning, 8/22/09, at 9:00am. At that point, Greg and Robin will get some preliminary pathology results followed by further testing. She will need to be sedated for the rest of Saturday and potentially Sunday with a drain to ease the pressure caused by cerebrospinal fluid accumulation.

I will post updates as soon as they become available. I know that Greg and Robin are extremely touched by the outpouring of love and emotion in these difficult times. On behalf of Greg, Robin, and the entire Hoyt family, I would like to thank you for your continued prayers and support.


Prayers for the Hoyt Family

Please know first and foremost before reading this message: Caitlin and Caroline Hoyt are NOT aware of the following details. Greg and Robin are asking for prayers but have NOT yet told the girls about Campbell's condition.So, it goes without saying, please DO NOT call the Hoyt household and leave a message that the girls may hear.

About 2 weeks ago, Campbell Hoyt, the 3 year old daughter of Greg and Robin Hoyt started feeling very ill. She was vomiting, maintained a fever, and became very listless and lethargic. Her symptoms remained the same for this entire time period. After several visits and calls to the Pediatrician and ER, Campbell was admitted to the hospital last night. A CT scan was done and determined that Campbell's symptoms are being caused by a brain tumor. The tumor is located between the 4th ventricle and cerebellum near the brain stem. The Doctors feel that it is a malignant tumor and plan to remove it tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. The surgery is expected to take @ 5 hours.The tumor will then be sent to pathology for further testing which will determine Campbell's next course of treatment.

Campbell is currently in the Pediatric ICU at Morristown Memorial Hospital, 100 Madison Ave. Morristown, NJ 07960. They are not able to accept gifts or flowers in the ICU, but will be able to after her surgery when she is in recovery.

The Hoyt's are very grateful for the love and prayers and would appreciate messages left on this site. They are not able to return phone messages at this time as they are focusing on Campbell. Greg's brother, Mark is answering Greg's cell phone if you call that number. Information will be updated on this site via Mark Hoyt to Chris and Shelley West. We will update more details as soon as it becomes available.

The best way to help the Hoyt's at this time is to surround them with Love and Prayers specifically for: Peace of mind and Rest for the entire Hoyt family. Pray for The Doctors, Nurses and Staff who are caring for Campbell. Pray that the Surgery goes smoothly and that the ENTIRE tumor is removed. Pray for complete healing of Campell Hoyt. And, pray that Caitlin and Caroline will peacefully understand and accept the news about their little sister when Greg and Robin explain it to them.