Campbell had a really good weekend. The doctors and nurses are almost as happy to see her feeling better as we all are. She was up early yesterday to go play in the playroom and walked all the way there. Dr Gregory stopped by to see her and was really pleased with how good she looked. She sat up in the chair for a while watching a movie and reading a book and had a good shower in the morning (we were finally able to get all of the adhesive residue off of her from the past month).
She had been fever free for almost 48 hours when she spiked a 102.7 just to keep everyone on their toes. It resolved with Tylenol and the doctors are no overly concerned with it unless it begins to come more often again. Dr Mazzola was also by and is not concerned with any swelling in the back of Cam's head where the first incision was. This means that we are moving further away from the prospect of having to re-insert the shunt.
This morning, she will be downstairs to have her PIC line placed and also have another spinal tap. The PIC will allow us to adminster IV antibiotics to her from HOME, have her sedated during the radiation without continually having to get "poked" and also have any subsequent blood tests taken without having to stick her. The spinal tap will give them a look at the white cells and bacteria in her CSF and tell them if the infection is on the way out. They'll want to wait 48 hours for the cultures to grow anything but depending on what it shows, we could have her home again by Wednesday!!!
Just to keep us from getting bored with the current medical situation, Caitlin fell on Saturday night and broke her collar bone...no, I am not kidding. She is feeling better and only needs a sling for the next month (thank goodness no surgery...). We are wrapping Caroline in bubble wrap for the next 6 months.
Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline and Campbell