Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Update - 9/8

It has now been 24 hours since Cam was taken off all of the antibiotics. Unfortunately, her fever is not gone. Fortunately, her fever is not gone...confused yet?

The fact that it has not gone down does seem to indicate that the antibiotic was not causing the infection nor was it an infection causing it. Her white blood count remains normal. Had it been an infection we should see an upward trend with those numbers...sounds logical, right?

She is now scheduled to have a Gallium scan on Thursday. Robin is eager to get her home and is hoping to get her released tomorrow and have the scan as an outpatient procedure. We are looking to the doctors for some guidance here and will follow their advice.

The Gallium scan is similar to the Indium scan...they both mark the white cells and trace them in the body to see where they are going to fight infection. If this scan shows nothing, Post Fossa Mutism Syndrome is a possibility. This is a potential side effect from the surgery and could be causing the fever (along with other symptoms). If that is the case, it can be treated with steroids and corrected.

Unfortunately, we are still waiting for some answers but at least we are looking for them now rather than waiting for them to find us!

With Love,

Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline & Cam


  1. Hang in there! It's gonna get better.
    Stacy, Katie, and Ryan

  2. You and Robin are wonderful parents and such terrific advocates for all your children. We admire your positive spirit and ability to keep asking the tough questions. You've got a good team around you and we know they'll have more answers for you in the coming days. Keep your spirits up! XOXO
    The D's

  3. Prayer chain going into overdrive