Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update - 9/3

Here is the latest on our little friend, Cam:

One of the oncologists (Dr Gregory) was up today and they have the pathology results back. The tumor is being classified as an ependymoma - stage 2, which is cancer. They are still discussing with the Childrens Oncology Group which treatment protocol will be best for Cam. At this point, they think that it will most likely be treated with radiation therapy only (6 - 8 weeks / 5 days a week) but NO chemotherapy. While we understand that she is still a very sick little girl, we can't help but be cautiously optimistic about the fact that she may not be subjected to the pain of chemo.

She is still in the PICU and is still not able to hold any food down. Her fever spiked last night to 103.9 and was up again this afternoon around 103. Today, we have seen the oncology team, her primary care doctor, the intensivists, the infections disease specialist and about a hundred residents as they try and find the cause of her fever. They did an ultra-sound of her belly this afternoon which, luckily, came back negative. They are also going to do an abdominal CT scan to make sure there is not any fluid in her belly that is causing the inflammation. At this point, they are just trying to rule things out.

Her white blood count is still elevated today but not has high as it was yesterday. They will repeat blood work again tomorrow and hopefully the things that they were concerned with today will have lowered even more. The antibiotics that she is on seem to be helping but both the doctors here in the PICU and the infectious disease doctor are looking to find out what is causing the fever and vomiting. At this point, we don't care as long as she is getting better but it seems that they do.

She had breif glimpses of feeling like herself last night and we ALL slept soundly for about 4 hours (from 2 - 6am) which seemed like an eternity to us. She actually ventured outside of the room today for the first time all week, albeit for only 5 minutes, but the fact that she wanted to is a small victory. She saw her girlies and some of her cousins which seemed to perk her up too.

We are hoping that by Saturday at the latest we will be home (I have a tee time on Sunday - golf therapy), but it all depends on how Cam responds over the next 24 hours.

With Love,

Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline and Cam


  1. We are praying and thinking only positive thoughts, with love.
    Rachel, Jake and Emily Rosen

  2. Greg and Robin,
    I hope you will be able to focus on the positives in this news. There is an awful lot of good in there. I know you are going through a very challenging time. Just love you all so much. Stay strong.
    All our love,
    The Levs

  3. Greg, Robin, Caitlin, Caroline, and especially Campbell,

    We want to let you know that we have been thinking of you ALL CONSTANTLY! We are praying harder for you all now more than ever and this has brought us closer together as a family. Keep your heads up and we will continue to pray. I firmly believe that all of the prayer you have received over the last couple of weeks has helped! Praise be to God! Strength in Him will see you through!

    Be Strong!

    Cory, Hollie, Carson and Elizabeth

  4. Morning,
    Really don't know wht to say that hasn't been said a hundred times before. Will keep on praying for all of you.
    Will talk to your Mother over the weekend.

  5. I am so glad to hear the positive things that are going on with Cam. We will remain positive that all will continue to go well and that Cam will be back at home Friday or Saturday. We don't want you (Greg) to miss TEE Time!
    Cam and the family are in my prayers.
    Greg, you behave, OK?
    With love,